2023 Marine Money Hamburg
Feb. 15, 2023
European Maritime Finance Forum
Top Risks & Opportunities in 2023 for Shipowners and Lenders
2023 is likely to be another year of surprises for shipowners and ship financiers. Shipping fundamentals appear solid, but…operating costs and interest rates are rising, and demand is threatened by recession. The goal of this event is to provide a forum in which market participants can come together to get to up-to-speed on the global macro environment, network and exchange ideas with peers, and generate deal-flow.
Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 6:00 pm
Pre-Conference Welcome Cocktail Reception
The Office of Ehlermann Rindfleisch Gadow
Ballindamm 26, Hamburg, 20095
Graciously Sponsored by
Wednesday, February 15, 2023
8:00 Registration Opens – Coffee & Refreshments
9:10 Welcome from Marine Money
Chairman’s Opening Remarks
Stefan Rindfleisch, Partner, Ehlermann Rindfleisch Gadow
Global Macro, Interest Rates & Shipping Markets
9:20 Recession or Recovery? 2023 Global Macroeconomic Outlook
• Growth, inflation and interest rate forecasts
• The drivers of disinflation (commodities prices, supply-chain constraints, retail margins, rents, and wage growth)
• Why any recession is likely to be mild
• The reaction function of major central banks
Daniel Vernazza, Ph.D., Chief International Economist, Managing Director, UniCredit Bank AG
9:40 1:1 with Rolf Habben Jansen, CEO of Hapag-Lloyd
With 252 modern ships, 11.9 million TEU transported per year and 14,500 motivated employees in more than 400 offices in 137 countries, Hapag-Lloyd is a leading global liner shipping company and we are delighted to have the opportunity to hear from CEO, Rolf Habben Jansen
Interviewed by: Pia Meling, Managing Director, Grieg Green
10:05 China's Reopening - The Impact on Shipping
• Short, Medium & Long-Term Growth Forecast for China
• Challenge Ahead: demographics
• Expectation for Government Stimulus
• Demand for Commodities
Dr. Cyrus de la Rubia, Chief Economist and Head of Research, Hamburg Commercial Bank
10:20 What’s Next on the Horizon for the Shipping Markets - Storm Clouds or a Pot of Gold?
Dr. Adam Kent, Managing Director, Maritime Strategies International Ltd. (MSI)
10:35 How We Built It – Robert Burke, CEO and Founder, Ridgebury Tankers
From M&A to private equity, Bob Burke is one of shipping’s busiest dealmakers.
Hear what’s on his mind these days.
Interviewed by Kurt Plankl, Counsel, Seward & Kissel
11:35 The Future Role of Ship Finance in the Energy Transition
Carsten Wiebers, Head of Mobility, KfW-IPEX Bank, in conversation
with Philipp Wünschmann, Head of Shipping, Berenberg
11:55 Mergers & Acquisitions: Why Shipowners & Maritime Services Companies Should Consider Them Today
Get up to speed on what deals got done in 2022, what factors motivated buyers and sellers, who provided the funding – and the outlook for M&A in 2023 and beyond.
Oliver Faak, Partner & Head of Europe, Transport Capital
12:10 Where Do We Stand with Decarbonization and How Can Newport Help?
• Decarbonization tools, big picture progress, and what is needed to reach targets
• Who can retrofit / requirements and Newport's solutions
Ege Akcasoy, Managing Director, Newport Maritime Services
12:20 Commercial Banks & Private Credit: Market Conditions & Outlook
A mix of active ship lenders and lessees share their views on current market conditions.
• Risks and Opportunities for Ship Lending in 2023
• Rising SOFR & LIBOR - Strategies for Refinancing Maturing Loan Facilities
• Managing Country Risk, Sanctions & Political Risk in Turbulent Times
• Decarbonization Regulations – Impact on Asset Values and Charter Rates
• $5-$25M – Strategies for Smaller Tickets
• Green Financing
• How Intermediaries Can Best Support Lenders in the Current Market
• Financing the Offshore Industry
Jan-Philipp Rohr, Global Head of Shipping, Hamburg Commercial Bank
Michael de Visser, Global Head of Shipping, NIBC Bank
Wijnand Botman, Managing Director, Direct Ship Finance
Nicholas Petrakakos, Partner & MD - Maritime & Offshore, Investment Banking, Alantra
Wilhelm Magelssen, Fund Manager & Partner, NRP Maritime Asset Management
Iraklis Tsirigotis, Director of Origination, Neptune Maritime Leasing
Moderator: Jonathan Ward, Partner, Stephenson Harwood
2:10 Offshore Wind: The Opportunity for Shipowners & Maritime Financiers
Offshore Wind will play an essential role in producing green energy. In this session, we will explore the opportunities for asset owners and maritime financiers.
• Views on the market as it stands and the changes required to help expand business
• How to improve market/lenders confidence given the scale and volume ahead 2025 to 2030 to 2050
• What could the charterers do to help and what could happen if no new builds happen?
Vikram Hiranandani, Managing Director of Corporate Finance, Eneti
Dr. Martin Harren, CEO, Harren & Partner Group
Glenn Erik Valoe, CCO, Olympic Subsea
Moderator: David Matthews, Head of Strategy, Offshore Renewables, Clarksons Platou
2:40 Fund in Focus: Jens Mahnke, CEO, Elbe Financial Solutions (EFS)
EFS is a sustainability-focused alternative asset manager focused on maritime assets and global infrastructure. EFS also serves as investment manager for Eurazeo’s 215 million Euro Sustainable Maritime Infrastructure Fund, which offers ship financing that supports marine decarbonization. In this session, learn what kinds of deals they are looking for.
Interviewed by: John F. Imhof Jr., Shareholder, Vedder Price
2:55 “Fit for 55“? – The European Carbon Trading System (ETS) and what Owners Need to Know
• The mechanism of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS)
• Impact for Owners and Charterer
• Three things to be ready to trade/ prepared for EUA Hedging
• Market insight from the trading perspective
Mathias Pechmann, Head of Commodity Flow Desk; RWE Supply & Trading
Andrew Fisher, Head of Research for Energy & Environment, Berenberg
Philipp Niesing, Managing Director, MPC Container Ships
Moderator: Arne Rahner, Head of Financial Markets, Berenberg
3:25 In Focus: Stamatis Tsantanis
Chairman & CEO, Seanergy Maritime Holdings
Chairman & CEO, United Maritime Corporation
Under Stamatis’s leadership, the team at Seanergy Maritime Holdings has concluded a series of innovative transactions, from capital markets to decarbonization. In this session, learn what comes next at this dynamic company.
Interviewed by: Matt McCleery, President, Marine Money
3:40 The Retrofit Decision: Three Things Every Owner Must Consider
• Lower cost/lower carbon reduction vs. Higher cost/higher carbon reduction
• Impact on Asset Value
• Impact on cash flow
Hauke Kite-Powell, Senior Analyst, Marsoft Inc.
3:50 Leadership, Growth & Risk Management in Shipping
Today’s leading executives share their views on the future of shipping.
• Risks & Opportunities in 2023
• Newbuildings and Energy Transition – What to Order?
• It’s All About People – Strategies for Creating a Positive Corporate Culture
• Meeting “Sustainability” Goals Across the Entire Enterprise
• Managing Inflation
• Capital Allocation
• Strategies for Using Capital Markets
• Looking into the Crystal Ball – 2028